Tuesday, 15 September 2026

Martes

 

Magandang hapon. Today is Martes (Tuesday) in Filipino. I do find the Phillipines quite fascinating. I watch a lot of Youtube videos about it. I'm trying to add a new word every few days. "Magandang hapon" is my phrase for today. "Good afternoon". Just think of a harpoon! 

Two big events today. I GOT A WOF! Ok so it cost $690. Who cares. I HAVE A WOF FOR ANOTHER YEAR. No small feat for a 2007 vehicle. Of course it is a Toyota! If the body doesn't rust their engines run forever. Of course (too) the future will be electric. The internal combustion engine is incredibly inefficient. Only a small amount of the potential energy actually gets to move the wheels. Is it as low as 25%? Anyway it is small, but on the plus side there is a century of refinement. The electric vehicle? I've heard some horror stories.  Whole editions of cars being unsaleable in two years. 

Charging them seems a bit number 8 wire, and weird, poke a chord out the window? I think there needs to be some legislation on properly installed outdoor electrical docks. 

My hot water infinity heater finally gave up the ghost and stopped. I've been talking to Mr Hot Water Cylinder or some such. One of his boys is going to come around and 'skope' my setup. It sounds affordable at just under $5k. The new big thing is heat pump hot water cylinders; but they are another $2k or so. Mr Hot Water Cylinder suggested that since I already have gas online for my cooking it is probably better to stick with gas. I agreed. Did you know that only the North Island has piped natural gas? Down south they have to use bottles!

That's all. Pie, spuds, onion and peas with okra (not the whales).

Oh yes I did some practise. No new strings attached. I think my E needs to be replaced with one of RBB's throwaways.



3 comments:

  1. Yeah! Okra and orca are similar or, as Richard would say


    NOT!

    Good News on the WOF - $700 is cheap when safety is involved. Toyotas are the best in a practical way.

    I was toying with the idea of an EV when we lived up north before researching like you and opting for hybrid. We almost bought one and now I'm glad we didn't as in Wellington we rarely use the car.

    Let me know what you decide to do with the Infinity heating system. We have a gas Infinity (Rinnai) for water heating and central heating that, while working OK at present might crap out in the future. We will face the same change decision - keep gas or go electric. With Trump's idiocy and now the Saudis losing control I don't know what the future of gas supply will be. I'm OK with cold water though if it comes to that.

    Well done on the Philippine language learning. It's important to learn new things. I just learned that I've been saying The Lone Ranger call wrong after 60 years plus.

    Hi-Yo Silver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An E string won't cost you $5k. Don't be such a tight arse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G strings work better with tight arses.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is not working? Check your third party cookie protection.

Martes

  Magandang hapon. Today is Martes (Tuesday) in Filipino. I do find the Phillipines quite fascinating. I watch a lot of Youtube videos about...